Saturday, September 3, 2011

Baby girl love

My daughter loves me. I mean she lovvvvves me, like a little magnet attached to my leg, like right there with me. And she is always talking about taking care of me. She's a four-year-old. I wonder if she sees or feels something from me that intrinsically let's her know that I am going through something --- or maybe she's just heard her momma talkin'. And maybe she thinkin', "Man, daddy is facing some hell." Lol. Could be.

But her love always makes me think about how important the relationship is with a little girl, a  proper relationship. I have had 40-something year old women confide in me that they still hurt from strained relations or know relationships with their fathers --- let alone the ones abused by fathers and more likely stepfathers.

I have had a couple women confide in me about how they were abused. It was stunning, to see the look in their eyes, the pain in their voices, the terror in their expressions. Each time it was like they were these little girls with a grown man taking advantage of them. I personally think child abusers should be hung from light poles or executed on television. The damage they do can span across generations: It hurts the women and can then affect their children, whose experience in turn affects their children until you have one long multi-generational chain of pain. You would be surprised at how many Black women and their mothers have been abused --- and their grandmothers. Imagine that. Terror. Horror. Shame. And who do they talk to? Very few people.

So for me it's all about fathers or the men in the lives of girls protecting these girls, they are too precious to be devoured like that. Can we do a referendum on hanging convicted child molesters? Why don't they try that one one in California, they pass all the other crazy resolutions. Hey, um just sayin'. I think I'll call Ward Connerlly, the Black face to the death of affirmative action ballot measures in Cali, and see what he thinks.That would be affirmative action.  Check this out for an academic perspective,  http://www.vision.org/visionmedia/family-relationships/fathers-daughters/3136.aspx

No comments:

Post a Comment